Chill Tuesdays Playlist 6-21-2011
Here’s this week’s sample of songs I played.
1. Le Nettoyeur by Greg Baumont: A slick instrumental bumping hip-hop beats. The musical arrangement and sound is almost reminiscent of Enigma and Art of Noise.
2. Just The Two of Us by Grover Washington, Jr.: A classic soul-jazz piece. The legendary Bill Withers does the vocals as the late Mr. Washington blows the saxophone. Some folks may recognize it as the song Will Smith sampled for his song of the same name.
3. River Serpentine by The Budos Band: A funky gem centered around horns. It has a cool sixties vibe to it.
4. Sabhyata by Karmix: When it comes to vocals, I normally avoid non-English singing songs. Yet, because I enjoyed the East Indian vocal arrangement, I included this number in my collection. As middle-eastern music plays, scratching plays in the mix.
5. Makes You Extatic by The Tao of Groove: Another cool song mixing jazz samples and hip-hop. Also, we hear smooth jazz guitar playing along with a flute.
6. Take Me To Mardi James by Bob James: Old-school, hip-hop heads will recognize the opening as the sample for Run-DMC’s “Peter Piper”. A keyboard grooves to jazz on this smooth jam.
7. Mystic Brew by Ronnie Foster: Funky organ work added to smooth jazz. This cool gem is easily recognized as the sample for A Tribe Called Quest’s “Electric Relaxation.”Chill Tuesdays Playlist, DJ Culture, Little Fish Huge Pond, Music comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.